I do have legal right to my baby pictures?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I do have legal right to my baby pictures?

In the event of my father’s passing, I requested my baby pictures from my stepmother. Now she is not anwsering the phone. The pictures that I’m requesting are my first baby pictures. My father married my stepmother when I was 11, so the pictures I’m requesting are of a time long before she ever came into his life. Do I have legal rights over my baby pictures?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You absolutely have a legal right to your baby pictures. I suggest if your father is alive to immediately get them from him. Do not involve your stepmother and essentially arrange it so she is out of the home. If you have other family members who support your view, bring them with you to the home. If your father has passed, it is time to get some family member and go to the house and indicate you would like your pictures and leave it at that. If she feels threatened, she may either relinquish or throw you out. If you feel the latter will occur, consider talking to a lawyer about suing her for specific performance (return of your photos) or file a claim in probate court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption