Can I lose my home due to unpaid medical bills?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I lose my home due to unpaid medical bills?

I am 60 years old and am moving out of state. I will pay cash for home, so there will be no mortgage. Should I become ill and need emergency hospitalization, could I be forced to sell my house if I cannot pay the medical bills; I do not have medical insurance? My annual salary is $12,000; the market value of the house is $85,000.

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you incur huge medical bills which you are unable to pay, you could be sued by the medical provider(s).  If that happens and there is a judgment against you, you can file bankruptcy.  There are exemptions you would include in your bankruptcy to protect your home and other assets from creditors' claims.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption