If there is a protection order against my child’s father, does he still have his visitation rights?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If there is a protection order against my child’s father, does he still have his visitation rights?

Asked on July 26, 2014 under Family Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, yes he still has his visitation rights (I will assume that you have custody with your husband having court scheduled visitation). At this point, unless you two can reach an acceptable arrangement that does not violate the terms of the order, there will need to be a court hearing and a system set up for allowing his visiting the children. This can be supervised visits, with the exchange of the children at the home of a trusted family member, or supervision by a social services agency (which may be available for a small fee).

Since you gave no details of your situation, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in custody cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption