If I divorce someone who has the conditions on his permanent residence, what happens to him and his residence?

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I divorce someone who has the conditions on his permanent residence, what happens to him and his residence?

We separated within two years of completed his permanent residence, he wants me to stay married to him until he gets his conditions removed and I want to be divorced, is it possible we both get what we want or will he get sent back to mexico with out a visa/passport/greencard/US residence?

Asked on November 18, 2012 under Immigration Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is possible that you can hold off getting the decree of final dissolution between you and your spouse until after the conditions concerning his or her residency are completed with this country's immigration service so that the spouse would not be deported. I suggest that you and your spouse consult with a family law and an immigration attorney on the subject that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption