If I bought a diamond engagement ring and the jeweler lied about the diamond’s quality, can I sue?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a diamond engagement ring and the jeweler lied about the diamond’s quality, can I sue?

If so, how do I go about it? I bought a diamond that the jeweler said was a 1.5CT G color VS2. But when I got it appraised it was actually a 1.3ct J color SI3 diamond with florescence (which makes the diamond color look better than what it really is).

Asked on September 17, 2011 under General Practice, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are basing the suit on the misrepresentation of the jeweler as to the quality of the diamind as you were using his expertise in the field as reliance on the quality.  Do you have anything in writing that showed that the jeweler represented that the diamond was of the quality that you stated?  And may I ask: did you over pay for the ring based upon the quality that was determined through the appraisal?  If the quality of the ring is with in the price range of what you paid you may not have a claim for damages but you may be able to have them take the diamond back and get your money back.  Take all you documents to some one to read.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption