If an insurance settlement is over $3000 for a minor, will it be put into a trust fund?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an insurance settlement is over $3000 for a minor, will it be put into a trust fund?

My minor children were in an auto accident and the settlement is slightly over $3000 so the insurance company wasn’t to put the funds into a trust account. I don’t think that it’s worth going through the hassel since after lawyer fees and therapists fees, they will only receive about $1500 each. Is there a way around this?

Asked on January 18, 2011 under Accident Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Check with your lawyer.  The law in each state varies on this issue.  Generally speaking, though, Judge's also like to have any settlement funds issued to a minor placed in an account for the benefit of the minor until they reach 18 years old.  This is to make sure that the funds are not used by anyone else. That is also why in many states a Judge must approve a settlement for an infant (called an infant's compromise order) in order to finalize the settlement. And the bank that the funds are deposited in are also named in the order.  There may not really be any way around it all and if you really think about it, it really is meant in the best interests of the child.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption