If a financial institution is dissolved and you still owe them, what happens to the debt?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a financial institution is dissolved and you still owe them, what happens to the debt?

The financial company that gave me my student loan has been dissolved without any notice (my state requires that info to be public) so I stopped making payments. A few months later the previous owner of the school contacted me and said that I had to start making payments to him. This sounded suspicious so I did some research and I ignored it but now he is threatening to sue.

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the financial institution that you owe money to has been dissolved and is no longer in business, then you do not have an obligation to pay the entity unless its representative contacts you about payment and provides documentation showing that he or she is entitled to make the inquiry on behalf of the dissolved entity's behalf.

Many times when entities are dissolved, assets are sold to people and other companies. This may be the situation you are being confronted with. However, if there was an actual sale of an assets by the dissolved financial institution, there would be a written document showing the sale of such assets and price paid. In your situation, I would ask for such documentation to be provided you before any payment is made.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption