What canI doif a family member bought a houseinmy name withoutmy permission and forgedmy signature?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI doif a family member bought a houseinmy name withoutmy permission and forgedmy signature?

Asked on August 22, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your signature was forged on any document concerning the purchase of real property where title to it is in your name, be it the purchase agreement or any loan associated with the purchase, a criminal event has happened as well as a "tort" that could lead to a civil action.

You have the following options:

1. contact the family member to get the property out of your name as well as all loans where you might be obligated out of your name as well by a set date;

2. if the above is not resolved to your satisfaction, you could file a civil action against the family members seeking the suggested resolution in item # 1 above;

3. contact the lender for the loan (assuming your name is on it) about what transpired;

4. contact law enforcement as the last plan of action.

You should contact a real estate attorney about the above situation.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption