What to do if I received incorrect information from a dentist and now it will cost me $1,000?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received incorrect information from a dentist and now it will cost me $1,000?

I went to a new dentist to have my crowns changed because my previous dentist said they needed to but was fully booked. At the time I had 2 insurances and the procedure would have been free. The new dentist told me the crowns were fine and did not need to be changed. I went back to the new dentist and now he tells me that the crowns I have are for minors and I needed new ones as an adult. I have only 1 insurance now and the procedure will cost more than $1000. The new dentist only says, “I’m sorry”. Can I sue him for this? He won’t even consider not charging me?

Asked on August 30, 2015 under Malpractice Law


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Legally, this may have been malpractice medical or dental treatment which was negligent, or unprofessionally careless. In theory, you could recover the money this will cost you from the dentist who made the error. In practice, there is no cost-effective way to do so to get the money, if he will not voluntarily compensate you, you'd have to sue and even if you did not hire an attorney, to bring a medical/dental malpractice claim, you need a report from a medical/dental expert certifying that this was malpractice. The cost of the expert plus the filing fee--even if you do act as your own attorney, and save on attorney's fees--would almost certainly equal or exceed what you hope to get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption