What can I do if I went to a dentist who chipped another tooth that I was having a filling done on?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I went to a dentist who chipped another tooth that I was having a filling done on?

This happened today. The problem is I didn’t notice until I left the office. I also had to have him fix another chip that he caused the last time I was there.

Asked on January 20, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If, as is quite possible, the chipping occured because the dentist was being negligence, or unreasonably careless (less careful than is ordinarily expected of a dentist), then it may constitute malpractice. If so, you could recover the cost to correct the damage, such as the cost of having a dentist put in the correct fillings, crowns, or caps (whatever would be the normal way of fixing this). Small chips would not seem to support extra compensation for pain and suffering, however. The problem for you is that in the U.S., in more than 95% of cases, parties have to pay their own legal costs; if the dentist will not voluntarily pay, you'd have to sue him, which may not be cost-effective given the expense of a lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption