If I was served divorce papers but my wife changed her mind, since a proof of service I was not filed is the case stopped?

UPDATED: May 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was served divorce papers but my wife changed her mind, since a proof of service I was not filed is the case stopped?

bout 3 weeks ago, a friend of my wife’s served me divorce papers; my wife arranged for this in a fit of anger. Since then she has verbally said and emailed she no longer wants a divorce. She believes that since a proof of service has not been filed, the divorce process has not started, and no further action on her part is required. I am under the belief that once I am served, I have 30 days to respond, regardless if a proof of service has been filed, else I risk a default judgment against me.

Asked on May 18, 2012 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The case has not been "stopped" because the proof of service isn't filed. 

To end the case, your wife will need to file a request for dismissal (court form).  On the request for dismissal, she should check the boxes which say dismissal of all parties and all causes of action. (The form might say entire action instead of all causes of action).  She will also need to check the box indicating the type of dismissal.  There are two types of dismissals.  One is without prejudice and the other is with prejudice.  Without prejudice means the case can be reinstated in the future.  With prejudice means the case cannot be reinstated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption