Is it legal if I was gone for the weekend visiting my children and my husband had changed the locks on our home once I got home?

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 7, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal if I was gone for the weekend visiting my children and my husband had changed the locks on our home once I got home?

Can he just lock me out?

Asked on December 7, 2015 under Family Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, this is not legal. Until a divorce decree, formal separation agreement or other court order is issued, you both have equal rights to occupy the home since it is still considered to be the marital residence.
You need to consult with an attorney at this point. Since your funds are limited you can contact Legal Aid and see if you are income eligible for representation by it. Otherise, you can contact your state/county bar association and see if they have a list of attorenys who will take your case "pro bono" (i.e. for free) or at least at a reduced cost. Finally, you can check to see if there is a law school nearby to you; they typically run free/low cost legal clinics that handle divorce cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption