Wht to do if I was arrested for shoplifting $167?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wht to do if I was arrested for shoplifting $167?

I am 58 years old and have never been in trouble, I’m at a loss as to what to do next. I’m out of jail on bond and my court date is next month. I cannot afford a lawyer. I was reading about a diversions but I don’t know if I could ask for one or not? Is a diversion only for the young? I’m scared and confused. Is there anything I could do before court to help myself?

Asked on March 27, 2013 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


Byron Mobley / The Law Office of Byron Mobley

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Depending on what the standard procedure is for the court you are appearing in there may be a possibility of some kind of diversion program but generally in city/ justice court there is no formal diversion program.  I would strongly suggest that you hire an experienced crimnal attorney.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption