Who is entitled to the proceeds of an insurance check?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is entitled to the proceeds of an insurance check?

I was added to my girlfriend’s car insurance and got into an accident. My car was a total loss. Because it was her insurance they’re writing the check to her. She told me she’s keeping the money. The vehicle is in my name and I’m listed on the insurance; the amount is $4200. Is there anything I can do to stop her from taking my money? She lives in one state; I live in another.

Asked on December 27, 2012 under Accident Law, Alaska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The person who gets the insurance money is the registered owner of the car that was damaged and who is listed on the policy of insurance. From what you have written, the insurance carrier should have issued the $4,200 check in your and the girlfriend's name and you two can deal with resolving the issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption