What to do if I sued my ex-boyfriend in small claims court for breaking a lease and won, however he has not paid?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I sued my ex-boyfriend in small claims court for breaking a lease and won, however he has not paid?

I know where he works but not his mailing address, I have filed paperwork with the courts to have his wages garnished but only get undelivered mail and subsequent cancelled court dates because of this. How am I to get my money owed?

Asked on September 5, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you actually know where the person that you have a judgment against works, then you need to provide the presumed civil division of the sheriff's office with the actual address of the employer so that the wage garnishment can be properly served upon the employer.

If you know where the ex boyfriend banks, then you need to complete a notice of levy to have his bank accounts levied upon so that you can get the judgment against him satisfied. Part of the problem with litigation is collecting on the judgment once one receives a favorable award.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption