What to do if I went through a bankruptcy that was finalized almost 1 1/2 years ago and I lost my home but the HOA is still attempting to collect monies?

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I went through a bankruptcy that was finalized almost 1 1/2 years ago and I lost my home but the HOA is still attempting to collect monies?

I attempted to resolve the issue by paying all fees, to include late payment fees, from the date the bankruptcy was finalized to the date the home was sold. The HOA refused this payment and is seeking to collect the debt, to include lawyer fees before my discharge date, when the bankruptcy was to dispose of these charges. Do I have an action to have them to cease this actions?

Asked on April 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the former HOA is still seeking monies from you prior to the date of your bankruptcy filing and up to it, such claimed debt owed by you seemingly would be discharged with respect to your successful bankruptcy discharge. If you owned your property subject to HOA fees from the date of your bankruptcy filing and until foreclosure, you might be obligated for such HOA fees unless the order of discharge clearly sets forth the fact that you are not.

I would consult your former bankruptcy attorney about the situation that you are writing about to clarify the time period where your debts were discharged. Once confirmed, I would write the HOA setting forth your position as to what claimed debts you owe it were successfully discharged and for what specific time period. Keep a copy of this letter for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption