If I recently was fired from a job, when can I expect my last check?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I recently was fired from a job, when can I expect my last check?

I read that you are supposed to receive your last check within 6 days from your termination or the next pay date. It has been well past the first 6 days and days almost a week from the last pay date. How to file a claim against this company. I should be compensated for the days they delayed getting my last check to me.

Asked on November 28, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

  In TX, if an employee is laid off, discharged, fired or otherwise involuntarily separated from employment, their final pay is due within 6 calendar days of discharge 9if the employee quits, retires, resigns, or otherwise leaves employment voluntarily, their final pay is due on the next regularly scheduled payday following the date of resignation).
If an employer fails to pay a departing employee their check on time, the employee should make a request directly to the employer (in writing). If the employer does not make prompt payment then they can file a wage claim with the TX Workforce Commission and follow their administrative process to pursue payment. An employer can also receive both civil and criminal penalties for failure to pay wages on time.
At this point you hould consult directly with an employment law attoreny in your area; they can best explain your rights and remedies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption