If I received a citation for public nudity, would it be to my advantage to appear myself on this type of charge or have a public defender appear on my behalf?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a citation for public nudity, would it be to my advantage to appear myself on this type of charge or have a public defender appear on my behalf?

The case is next week. Do you know what type of fines or punishments could be handed down?

Asked on September 10, 2015 under Criminal Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Representation is always a good option... even it it involves using the public defender.  You have received a citation, which usually involves "fine only" or fines with minimal potential jail consequences.  However, even a citation can have a negative affect on your life.  You are being cited for public nudity.  Every time you apply for a new job or you want to volunteer at a school function for your kids if you have children, you could be required to disclose your criminal history.  Even if you fail to disclose, they have the right to run your history and learn that you have a "nudity" charge on your record. A nudity charge could be something simple like, urinating in an ally.... however, the public often equates "nudity" offenses with "sexual deviance" offenses.  You need help to assist you with this charge if for no other reason than to avoid the negative consequences on future employment opportunities.
You can show up and try to represent yourself.  However, keep in mind that everything you tell the judge, the court reporter, the prosecutor, or any other court officer could and most likely will be used against you later.  For some reason, people think they can walk into court and the statements won't be used because a police officer isn't doing the questioning.... when in actuality... every statement is a voluntary, admissible statement.  A public defender or other attorney can appear for you, assert your defensive theories, and protect you from making statements that could result in a waiver of your right to remain silent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption