What to do if I paid a $1600 deposit for a bridal gown to a dress shop that recently decided to close up shop?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I paid a $1600 deposit for a bridal gown to a dress shop that recently decided to close up shop?

They’re refusing to give me my deposit back, assuring me that the owner will receive the dress at their personal residence and let me know when it comes in. I don’t feel comfortable with this situation. Is there anything I can do to get my money back?

Asked on March 11, 2013 under Business Law, Texas


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Hello. I urge you privately to have a consultation with an attorney about this matter, and with no delay.  You should provide your written documentation to the attorney, because it is important to the legal advice. I urge you to telephone at least a few attorneys, in choosing one attorney, so that you feel comfortable and a sense of trust.  All the best. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption