I own property in Laurens County, I want to know the laws on someone putting up a privacy fence?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I own property in Laurens County, I want to know the laws on someone putting up a privacy fence?

My rude and unruly neighbors built a privacy fence and it is on my land. I had a surveyor come out and show them that it was and they have done nothing about correcting their mistake. The fence has not even been up a year and it looks terrible, they also just posted a No Trespassing sign on it facing my property as well. I want to know what I can do about getting them to move it off my property.

Asked on November 19, 2018 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You would have to file an action in county court, likely in what is called "chancery" or "general equity" court, seeking a declaratory judgment, or official court determination, of where the boundaries are (and so that the fence is on your land) and a court order requiring your neighbor to move the fence. If you want to explore this option, consult with an attorney--it can be procedurally complex to bring a case for other than monetary compensation. You will need the surveyor to come to court and testify (under evidnece rules, you can't put in or rely upon his survey without his presence) and so have to pay for his time as well as the attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption