I need to know if my marriage is valid.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need to know if my marriage is valid.

In 1970 the laws weren’t as strict when it came to ID’s .. We wanted to
get married, unknown to me at the time he was using an alias, when we
went for the licence I filled out the paperwork and because he didn’t
have adequate ID the clerk said a parents permission would work. He
went back later without me and with a friend who meant well and is
now dead and the friend said they were the parent and we got the
licence. without too much unnecessary information I just need to know
if that marriage is valid and are we still considered married.

Asked on March 24, 2017 under Family Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that using an alias on a marriage certificate might well be illegal. That having been said, such a false representation does not invalidate your marriage, unless your husband did in an attempt to perpetrate some type of fraud against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption