I need clarity about LLC and EIN

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I need clarity about LLC and EIN

When my husband and I set up our business we set up and LLC. We didnt know about LLC single member, partnership, etc. So I got an EIN in my name and he never got one. When we filed with the state we put both of our name on the business as organizers. I didn’t know we had to put members. I am just trying to fix our mistakes. Does he need his own EIN? Is our LLC considered a partnership with us both listed as Organizers in our Article of Organization? If he gets his own EIN how will this effect our credit profile? I understand a business needs an EIN to report to the credit bureaus, if we both have one which one are we supposed to use? We’ve been in business for 2 years.

Asked on June 30, 2018 under Business Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The LLC needs the EIN, not you: an LLC is a separate legal entity (or person) and needs its own EIN or tax-ID number. One that is obtained in your name would not apply to the LLC; and your husband does not need an EIN, either--again, it is the LLC which needs one. 
First thing you need to do is make sure that your business is in fact registered with the state as an LLC and not as a partnership, which is a different thing: a partnership does not provide you the protection from personal liability which an LLC does. 
If it's not set up as an LLC, register an LLC then transfer your partnership's assets to it and run the business going forward under the LLC.
If and when it is an LLC, apply for an EIN for the LLC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption