If I broke a lease and my landlord got a judgement against me, what can I do?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I broke a lease and my landlord got a judgement against me, what can I do?

I moved from MI to TX 3 years ago. I received a judgment against me and now a TX lawyer is contacting me and threatening me. I moved due to lack of work. What are my rights? Can this attorney come after me?

Asked on August 16, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you have a judgment against you by your former landlord for breaking your lease and not paying the balance owed upon it, and you were properly served with the summons and complaint (by personal service, sub-service or publication) and if the time to set aside the suspected default and default judgment has passed, there is really not much you can do about it unless you:

1. file for bankruptcy protection with the goal of eliminating all of your debts assuming you qualify for such a filing;

2. enter into a payment plan on terms you can afford to pay off the judgment in exchange for a satisfaction of it in full.

The Texas attorney representing your former landlord on the judgment can levy upon your assets and garnish your wages through court process to satisfy the judgment.

If the local bar association has self help clinics, you should consider attending one to assist you in your matter.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption