What to do if a hospital divulged my medical information to my mother without my consent?

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a hospital divulged my medical information to my mother without my consent?

Yesterday I was admitted into the hospital. My mother, who does not even live in the same state as me and IS not listed as my emergency contact, called the hospital I was at and asked for information about me and they gave it to her. When I found out, I asked the hospital staff not to give out any of my information to anyone over the phone again. My mother called back twice and they told her all my test results and answered her question to whether or not I was pregnant. They told her information they hadn’t even told me yet. Can I sue, especially since I asked them not to do this?

Asked on March 23, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Alabama


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

There is no private cause of action under HIPAA.  You can report them to their respective medical boards or file a complaint with the federal government, but there is no lawsuit to bring.  You can not recover monetary damages for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption