What to do abot a rentl that is in foreclosure and back rent that is owed?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do abot a rentl that is in foreclosure and back rent that is owed?

My landlord is somewhere along in the forclosure process but I don’t think the bank has taken possesion yet. I have been behind on my rent for over a year and my landlord has been working with me. I have been paying the current month’s rent and whatever I can toward the back rent. My landlord told me yesterday that I need to pay in full all the back rent owed ($1,800) by next week or he is filing an eviction. How long will I have to move? I know that federal law states that if the bank had taken possesion I would have 90 days to vacate.

Asked on January 9, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


eric redman / Redman Ludwig, P.C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

there will be a quick eviction hearing in 1-2 weeks.  the court orders you out in a few days, normally.  you might argue that he had been allowing partial payments on the arrearages so he should have to give you new notice of default and time to cure, per the lease.  you may need a bankruptcy to clear out this debt and any others.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption