What to do if I received a court summons for wage garnishment on a debt that I’ve never received notice of or attempt to collect on?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I received a court summons for wage garnishment on a debt that I’ve never received notice of or attempt to collect on?

Do I have any ground to stand on now that it is for wage garnishment? The plaintiff does have suits against them for no attempt to contact made. The only debt I have had was 9 years ago (if this is what they are tring to collect for). The judgement was 4 years ago.

Asked on September 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all sattes in this country a judgment creditor is allowed to levy on a judgment debtor's assets or garnish his or her wages to satisfy the outstanding judgment.

This is apparently is what is happening to you despite never receiving any prior notice of collection attempts before. I suggest that the best way to understand the court summons for the wage garnishment where your wages will be garnished from your employer is to consult with a consumer law attorney and discuss what means would be best to try and resolve the judgment against you. Possibly entering into a monthly payment agreement in writing would be an option for you?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption