If I have never been married but I had a child with my ex, since I never signed over custody of my child can I bring her to live with me?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I have never been married but I had a child with my ex, since I never signed over custody of my child can I bring her to live with me?

They are trying to keep her from me, by telling me that she doesn’t want talk to me or see me hardly ever.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

from what you have written so long as there is no order from any court in any state in this country where you gave up your custody rights as well a visitation rights to your child, you can seek to have your child reside with you.

The problem that I perceive is that the child may not want to live with you. Courts in this country listen more to a minor who reaches the age of 13 and beyond as to the minor's preference of residence between two separated parents.

From what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney as to what your legal options and recourse is with respect to custody arrangements with your child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption