What to do if I’ve been recently charged with a misdemeanor for animal cruelty?

UPDATED: May 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’ve been recently charged with a misdemeanor for animal cruelty?

Law enforcement came to my home saying the neighbors saw me deliberately shoot at my dog with a plastic airsoft gun, I admit to shooting at can targets however I did not deliberately aim and fire at my pet. When they observed my dog, there was an injury on his left side that indeed looks to be a bb wound. As I kept denying to the officer that I shot him, he said there was enough evidence gathered that he would bring me to Juvenal hall if I had not admitted to my actions. Not knowing how the animal could have been injured, I had no choice but to say I done so to avoid being sent to prison even though I know for a fact I did not do it. What is the best outcome if I’m a minor?

Asked on May 8, 2013 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Talk with your parents and hire an attorney.  If you feel that the police in any way pressured you in to saying you injured the dog - known as coercion - which saying they would send you to juvie sounds like, then that "confession" should be thrown out.  Do not take this charge lightly.  Get help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption