What to do if I have been divorced for 9 years and it was ordered in the divorce that I refinance but I can’t?

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 6, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have been divorced for 9 years and it was ordered in the divorce that I refinance but I can’t?

I have not been able to my credit is terrible.My ex is now stating he is suing me. can he and what if the property ends up in foreclosure? What happens to me?

Asked on March 6, 2013 under Family Law, Michigan


Gregory Buckley / Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

To some degree, his ability to sue you will depend on the language of the Final Judgment related to the refinancing of the mortgage.  Without seeing the actual language, it is hard to predict whether or not suing you will be successful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption