What to do if I have a roommate that stole checks of mine and forged my signature?

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 20, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a roommate that stole checks of mine and forged my signature?

I agreed that I will not press charges as long as she keeps living in my household until she pays off what was stolen and for services such as rent good etc. As I have paid all her expenses since she moved in a month ago. Can this be considered blackmail or extortion?

Asked on November 20, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Note that you *can't* agree to not press charges in exchange for payment: that is against the law. (E.g. you're not allowed to use the criminal system to collect a debt.) You could get in trouble for this. Either press charges or not, without regard to the payment.

And if she agrees to repay, get that agreement in writing, with dates by which she must make payments; if she violates the agreement, then you can sue her for the money.

And change your bank account--she obviously knows your bank account number, and could possibly use that to take money out in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption