What to do if I have a friend that committed a crime and was given probatio but she never reported and has moved out of state?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I have a friend that committed a crime and was given probatio but she never reported and has moved out of state?

She has been on the run for a year. I am interested in helping her get her life and freedom back but I am not sure how to help?

Asked on December 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Basically, you can't do anythig for your friend other than to urge her to stop running and take care of this. The first thing that she should do is to consult with a criminal defense lawyer ASAP. The fact is that warrants don't expire. So as long as she is on the run, she'll be at risk. Her best course of action is to hire an attoreney in the vicinity of where the warrant was issued. Experienced legal counsel will have local court contacts that tcan be used to her friend's best advantage. Bottom line, it will go better for her if she voluntrily turns herself in, as oppossed to being brought in against her will. But make no mistake, she will be brought before the court at some point. If she's caught doing somethng as little as jaywalking, she'll be taken into custody. Also, when applying for a license or undergoing an employment background check, she'll run the risk of arrest.

If mmoney is an issue for your friend, she can see if she qualifies for representation by Legal Aid (there are income limits) or see if they can recommend someone to help you. Also, check if there is a law school nearby; they typically run free/low cost clinics that handle these type cases. Furhter, she can contact the local Bar Association in the county in question; they may have a list of attorneys who will take her case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on your income/circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption