Is it legal if I’m separated from my husband and am legally blind but he cancelled the health insurance for me?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal if I’m separated from my husband and am legally blind but he cancelled the health insurance for me?

He walked out on me and our 3 children.

Asked on September 10, 2015 under Family Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is legal unless in your legal separation agreement assuming you did legally separate, and not simply physically separate--i.e. start leading separate lives while married requires him to maintain coverage otherwise, just as a non-separated spouse is not required to maintain health insurance for his spouse, so can a separated spouse drop the health insurance. In additition, some health plans may not provide coverage for legally separated spouses if that were the case here, then even if wanted to maintain coverage, he could not--so you need to also check if his plan would permit you to stay on the coverage if legally separated.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption