What are my rights to unemployment compensation if I was terminated for theft but later vindicated of the allegation?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights to unemployment compensation if I was terminated for theft but later vindicated of the allegation?

I applied for unemployment benefits and they denied me saying I was discharged for theft. However, I was accused of theft but proved via surveillance video, credit card receipt, and date and time stamp via computer logs through the registers that I in fact did pay for the items they accused me of stealing. However, they terminated my position anyway. There has been a string of terminations of managers within our district for the prior months for a reduction in hours needed to be paid, as well as each store was given less man hours to schedule for work per shift. It is my assumption that they are firing individuals for any reason to not pay them their unemployment benefits/

Asked on June 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you were not fired "for cause" but were terminated for some other reason (such as the company wants to save money), you should be legally eligible for unemployment. You should appeal the denial of unemployment benefits, using the evidence you describe to show the unemployment insurance appeals board that the claimed reason for your termination is false or pretextual. If you demonstrate that you did not commit the claimed theft, you should be able to receive unemployment. You can find information about  how appeal from going to the unemployment website or contacting them via phone.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption