What constitutes unfit sleeping arrangements?

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What constitutes unfit sleeping arrangements?

I am a single mom of 2 children who share the same father. I have been working with him for almost 3 years since our split; we were never married. Until recently, we had been working things out. I have read that child support is not a reason for keeping kids from their dad and I have not done that. I want him in their life. Their living situation is that they have a 1-bedroom apartment and 1 child sleeps on the couch and 1 in a toddler bed when visiting. I have heard that I can be said to be unfit for allowing them in that environment. Is this true? Also, since there is no court order on visitation or custody, must I continue to allow him to see them?

Asked on November 1, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written I do not see unfit sleeping arrangements for your children. To be sure you need to have a social worker look at the living conditions of the father of the children to see if they are approved or not.

If there is no court order of visitation or custody in place you do not have to allow the father to see the children From what you have written I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption