How to transfera deed beforean estate is settled?

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to transfera deed beforean estate is settled?

My mother passed away earlier this year and in her Will made me executrix of her estate. She left everything to me to pay her debt, sell the home and divide the profits with my siblings. I need to apply for a loan to make debt-reduction settlements with her creditors. Her debt is unsecured loans. As I do not want to sell the house until I’m ready, how can I get the deed transferred into my name to use as a collateral against a loan before the estate is completely settled. Do I need to hire an attorney, and if I do, what would be the approximate cost?

Asked on October 8, 2011 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is unclear to me if you have submitted the Will for Probate and have been given Letters Testamentary for the estate.  That is the first step to negotiating with the creditors and doing what ever else you can to keep the state afloat while you get things in order.  Now, the house would not be transferred to your name in particular but as Executrix of the Estate of your Mother.  But I am not sure that is what you will need to do.  I would consult with an attorney in your area.  AS for the fee, some states set the fee by statute.  Some states the fees are just usual and customary.  Interview attorneys and ask around.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption