How to terminate a trust that is at a bank?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to terminate a trust that is at a bank?

My father who was a trust attorney in TX died in 1995 and left a trust for my 2 children. I spoke to the trustee last year and he indicated that our trust may be capable of termination. He believes that since I am also a beneficiary and that since we all 3 agree (they are now 22 and 24 years old) that we want this to be terminated now. We need to know what to do next. Do we have to hire a trust attorney from TX to handle the situation? How much would that conceivably cost? What is the process and how long would could? In Corpus Christi, TX.

Asked on August 22, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The trust document needs to be read in full in order to give any guidance here at all.  So in order to save you some money I would suggest that you hire an attorney initially to review the trust and to give you his or her opinion as to what they think your options are.  Ask about the tax ramifications as well.  As for cost, some attorneys charge hourly and some will negotiate with you for a flat fee.  But hire someone who knows what they are talking about.  Once you have an idea of your options you can decide what you want to do.  If you want to terminate the trust and it is held by a bank I am fairly certain that the bank is going to want something official from the court.  But you can start by discussing this with the bank in Texas and asking what they need as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption