How to proceed when bill has been sent to collections to avoid a credit hit?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to proceed when bill has been sent to collections to avoid a credit hit?

I just found out that one of my medical bills has been sent to collections. I was not aware I did not pay this bill as I did not get any reminder from the doctor’s office, I totally overlooked this one. I sent the payment to the doctor when I found out but the day after I received a letter from a collections agency. This account does not show in my credit report. I am still within the 30 day limit of the collections notification. I can pay and I am willing to pay in full but want to do everything I can to avoid a credit hit. What is the best approach to handle this?

Asked on June 11, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you can pay the outstanding balance owed your doctor presently, then you should pay the amount as soon as possible and hope that there is no negative mark mentioned as to such on your credit report. If there is, I suggest that you have your doctor write a letter of explanation so that you can submit it to the credit reporting agency.

If you pay the bill immediately, I would ask your doctor to take the bill away from collections as soon as possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption