How should we handle our son’s tickets from an accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How should we handle our son’s tickets from an accident?

My 16 year old son who only has a learner’s permit drove our car without

permission and got into an accident. He received 3 traffic tickets driving without a license, speeding and going out of his lane. Should we even allow him to drive anymore until we go to court for these tickets? Do we need a lawyer for this?

Asked on November 1, 2018 under General Practice, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

DEFINITELY do not let him drive for now. You have blatant warning that he is irresponsible behind the wheel; if you continue to let him drive after this, you will be negligent, or unreasponably careless, in the event he gets into or causes another accident; you will be increasing the likelihood of and magnitude of your potential liabiltiy.
Do retain a lawyer: the lawyer can likely minimize the consequences (fines; delay in getting a license after this) that your son will face, though it is very doubtful that an attorney can fully eliminate all consequences. The lawyer can also help represent you if anyone else was injured or any other property (another car, a fence, a bicycle, a utility pole, etc.) damaged in the accident, and since your son was NOT legally allowed to drive on is own, your insurance might not cover you--if there were any injuries or property damage, you will need your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption