How long does a previous tenant have to remove property, such as a pool, before it’s considered abandoned?

UPDATED: May 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long does a previous tenant have to remove property, such as a pool, before it’s considered abandoned?

My husband and I rented on May 1st, now the woman that claims she owns the pool is calling to either want us to pay for it or remove it. We’ve already invested money into said pool. Is there a way to be reimbursed before she removes the pool?

Asked on May 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I would first talk with your landlord about the situation with the swimming pool to see what the true situation is with respect to it. Whether an item is abandoned depends upon the intent of the owner and how long an item has been left behind with no intent to retrieve.

If you have incurred costs with respect to the pool that is not the landlord's, you have the right to be reimbursed such costs by the pool's owner.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption