How do I write a rebuttal letter to my former landlord who took nearly all my security deposit?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I write a rebuttal letter to my former landlord who took nearly all my security deposit?

My former landlord took of my security deposit for cleaning he hasn’t even done, and for repairs of damages that were already there when I moved in. I talked with the actual tenant who was nice enough to let me in and show me the property. I have pictures of the property when I moved out and have witnesses who have seen the immaculate condition of the property when I moved out. I talked with the local tenant’s council who advised me to send a certified rebuttal letter before suing the landlord in small claims court. I don’t know how to word such a letter.

Asked on December 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The letter that you need to write your former landlord about the security deposit that you have not receive is simply to request copies of all receipts and invoices that he or she supposedly incurred post your move out that supports the debit of your security deposit.

I would set a certain date for the documentation from him or her while keeping a copy of the letter sent for future use and need in the event of a small claims court action. I would also ask for a detailed explanation from the landlord as to what your security deposit which was not returned was used for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption