How do I prove my status as full time, permanent employee?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I prove my status as full time, permanent employee?

After 2.5 months on a job, I was let get go as the owner felt I was not a good fit. However, she is now denying my unemployment claim, stating that I was a contract to hire employee. I am not a contract employee, I have never been a contract employee nor did I agree to be a contract employee during my employment here. My offer letter states clearly that I was offered the position of ‘fulltime, exempt employee.’ I also received company sponsored medical benefits. During my time of employment, I received payment via direct deposit and did not receive any pay stubs. I believe she has done this intentionally and fraudulently. I also believe she has done this previously to other employees. My case is currently under review with CA Employment Department.
Cynthia Bulat

Asked on September 2, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your question actually describes good, solid evidence of your status: the offer letter, which delineates your status in very clear language; the fact that your received medical benefits (which you should be able to prove by your insurance card and any other documentation of the ocverage you received). Provide documentation of these things to the unemployment office for your appeal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption