How doI prove mental and physical abuse?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI prove mental and physical abuse?

He is careful not to leave any evidence.

Asked on August 21, 2011 South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

There are several ways:

1) Testimony--you can testify yourself to the abuse, and the judge and/or jury will evaluate your credibility

2) Other witnesses--has anyone else seem the behavior?

3) Examinations by experts--often, even if there are no bruises or other external signs, there may be internal signs or symptoms of physical abuse. Also, while mental abuse does not leave overt scars, a therapist may be able to validate that it has happened.

4) Any admissions or correspondence by your abuser, in which he admitted to his actions.

You should speak with an attorney about what you hope to accomplish (e.g. divorce; pressing criminal charges; etc.) and the attorney can advise you as to the type(s) of evidence or experts which would be useful. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption