How do I go about getting named executor for my deceased brother?

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 28, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting named executor for my deceased brother?

He died by suicide in another state. He did not have an estate really but we need to have an executor named to claim his personal effects according to the county coroner.

Asked on October 28, 2014 under Estate Planning, Nebraska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so, so sorry for your loss.  If he died with out a Will then you need to be appointed as administrator of the estate, but maybe only apply for what is called "limited letters" allowing you to gather his personal effects, go in to the apartment, etc.  You need to apply in the county in which he resided at the time of his death.  Often you can access forms online and you should look in to that since it is far away. Also call and speak with the clerk of that Probate Court and explain your situation. Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption