How doI force support payments?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI force support payments?

I am in the middle of a uncontested divorce. Ex-husband and I have a signed and notarized MSA. Ex-husband is not complying with payment terms (non-spousal/child support) in the MSA. Is there any way to force payment before the divorce is final?

Asked on August 24, 2011 California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to bring a motion in court to show he is in contempt of the agreement and see if the court will force payment by way of wage garnishment or bank account freezing or liens or a combination thereof. It appears that in fact this may be in fact filled with contested issues and he is merely using non-payment as a method of showing his disapproval. You should try the motion route, but before you do, consider consulting with a divorce attorney and brining up this matter to see if there may be other routes that experienced attorneys know how to use and use successfully.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption