How do I deal with a HOA president that is making false accusations and sending board letters?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I deal with a HOA president that is making false accusations and sending board letters?

I lease in a condo development. The owner of the unit I lease from and I have a very good relationship. The tenant above me however is the president of the HOA. She runs the development as if it is her private real estate. She continues to harass me and send letters of violation to the owner. There have not been any violations, but she keeps making them up. The management company seems to be her pocket, they never do any investigating. Is there an public agency that helps with these types of issues?

Asked on August 7, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

There is no public agency that would address this. 

You could sue for defamation, but that is a really difficult expensive and not real helpful process. You don't really have any monetary damages here that would help a defamation suit either.  The filing fees alone for a defamation suit would be around $250, unless you filed in small claims court.  This blog post gives an good overall description of defamation law in CA:

You could also file for a civil harassment protective order, but it usually takes more severe harassment than what you described to qualify for such an order.  You can learn more about civil harassment protective orders here:

The bottom line is there is no easy remedy for you. 


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption