How do go about getting a divorce and getting my kids?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do go about getting a divorce and getting my kids?

I’m taking care of brother in PA. My husband and kids are another PA town. I need to leave husband. Mentally abusive and controlling. I have no money,but don’t want to go back. I didn’t abandon my kids as I’m taking care of brother who is sick,but how do I go about getting help with no money and how do I get my kids? They’re 13 and 15 and I don’t know if they’d even want to move down here. I suffer from severe panic and depression. Seeing a therapist. Where do I start?

Asked on August 31, 2011 Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There are some resources for you. You can try contacting Legal Services--they provide legal help to people who can't afford an attorney. Try contacting the state and local bar associations (you can "google" them to get their contact information--they may be able to refer you to either an attorney who will provide help pro bono (for free) or to some other organization that can help you. Try contacting women's shelters, or support or advocacy groups for women who are abused--they may be able to either provide assistance or recommend where else you should turn. You could even try contacting local law schools--they often have "clinics" where the students provide assistance to people who can't afford an attorney. There is help out there for you and your children; good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption