How can I get my name on the deed to our home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get my name on the deed to our home?

My husband and I got married 9 years ago and we then purchased a home 2 months later. The

mortgage is in his name only and I am not on the deed. He left me a year and a half ago I don’t know where he is. I pay the mortgage and I want my name on the deed but I don’t know how to go about it.

Asked on March 10, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't get your name on the deed unless you divorce him and in the divorce, the court orders the home given to you. You have no property right to the home: you are not an owner of it, you are not even on the mortgage, and making payments towards the mortgage (or paying utilities, maintenance, etc.) does not give you any right to or interest in property--you can pay those things simply to be able to live there or to help a family member, and paying them doesn't make you an owner (which is what being on the deed would make you). But as a wife, you have an interest based on your marriage (in family, not property law) on assets, like the home, acquired during marrriage. So in a divorce, you could possibly be awarded the home or at least a share of its value. You need to speak to a family law attorney about your options.
If he passes away while you are married, you will likely inherit the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption