How can I get divorced when my husband who is the one who earns all the money and I am a stay at home mom?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get divorced when my husband who is the one who earns all the money and I am a stay at home mom?

Do I have any right to any money to help support my kids and myself?

Asked on September 15, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to reach out to a local legal aid group.  More and more areas are offering services for women in your situation.  A good starting point is your local district clerk's office.  Call them and see what resources are available in your area.  Some areas have formal groups like "legal aid" or "legal services."  Others have clinics wherein local attorneys agree to help out litigants for no or reduced fees.  Also contact your local United Way.  Some United Way and church groups also have information about local services.
You need an attorney to help you... mainly because you'll need to request temporary orders that request marital support and child support to help you get back to be financially independent.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption