How can I get a No Obligation Certificate from my employer?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get a No Obligation Certificate from my employer?

Currently I’m working as a contractor for a company called TCS and I got a job offer to apply for a full-time position with them. However, for hiring, they require NOC from my employer and the employer is not willing to provide it stating the company doesn’t have a policy to give NOC as I have signed the contract. The problem is I have also signed a contract with them stating, I’m cannot join as full-time with the current company I’m working or I’ll have to wait for 12 months to join after the termination. So is there any way I can get a NOC from my current employer?

Asked on September 30, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Regardless of whether you signed a contract or not, an employer is not itself obligated or required by law to provide a no obligation certificate (NOC) or anything like that--it is purely voluntary on their part whether to do this or not.  Therefore, you can't get a NOC from your employer if they choose to not provide one, because they have not legal obligation or duty to provide it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption