How can I find out how much is left on a past judgement?

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out how much is left on a past judgement?

I have tried to contact the law firm with no luck.

Asked on August 23, 2011 New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you cannot make contact about a past due judgment against you and the amount owing with the law firm that was handling the matter, I would try contacting the judgment creditor directly about the amount owed. You should call first and then follow up with a written letter to both the judgment creditor and the attorney handling the action. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

Another option is to go online and see if the judgment and case it arose out of can be pulled up from the court's website. If you can, you can get a rough approximation of what is owed taking into account that judgments typically accrue interest at 10% per annum on the principal amount less any payments you made on it.

Another option is to go down to the court house and pull the file concerning the case where the judgment is against you to get additional information.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption